Wean was adopted by Nurse Skye Longley after the former was found on the side of a Canberra road. Wean and her kitten siblings had been stuffed in a bag and thrown on a road with the intention of being run over. And they were, although Wean survived, got out of the bag, and pulled it to the side of the road, protecting her brothers and sisters.
About a year later, on 16 February, 2018, Wean was ill. Longley, on a day off to study at university, brought her in at the open of practice.
Wean was very flat. She was so dehydrated that bloods could not be drawn to even begin diagnosing her. Fluids were delivered subcutaneously but Dr Charlie Webb said she was going to die if they didn't get more fluids into her, and quickly.
Webb then established an intraosseous cannula via Wean's femur. It was the first time he'd attempted the procedure but it was a success: Wean was rehydrated and bloods were drawn forty minutes later, though nothing conclusive was diagnosed. Longley wondered if she'd eaten something rotten or perhaps poison although that was never possible to confirm.
Wean was administered various drugs, including antibiotics, but Dr Fiona Starr was concerned about Wean's ability to recover and gave Wean only a ten percent chance of surviving.
Longley - not working on that day as she was studying at university - was called and advised to come in, the implication being there was a chance it might be to say goodbye.